Haraganga College

1

Category : English, Haraganga, Munshigonj

ashutoshHistory of Haraganga College
A noble hearted man named Mr. Ashutosh Ganguly of Routvog village in Dhipur union of Tangibari Thana of Munshiganj district had taken initiative to set up this college for the assistance of the students in this region. A noble hearted man named Mr. Ashutosh Ganguly of Routvog village in Dhipur union of Tangibari Thana of Munshiganj district had taken initiative to set up this college for the assistance of the students in this region. He sought help from erstwhile sub divisional administration and elite process to execute his target. Some educationist especially local lawyer Mr. Satish Chandra Vottachaja, erstwhile sub-divisional magistrate and later on sub-divisional judge A.H.M. Wajir Ali (The nephew and son-in-law of Sher-E-Bangla) extended his helping hands cordially. This college was established for the whole hearted assistance as washutoshell as the donation of 1, 00,000 (one lac rupee) of Ashutosh Ganguly. The college was named as Haragana College after the first part of the name of Ashutosh Ganguly’s father Mr. Haranath Ganguly and Mother Gangaswari Devi.

Sher – E – Bangla Fazlul Haque (The Chief minister and education minister of Bangla of erstwhile India under British regime ) laid the foundation stone of the college on the 18th December of 1938. The formal academic activities started in 1938. The first principal of the college was Mr. Birendra Chandra Mukarji. He was 5 years senior to Netaji Suvash Chandra Bosh in Presidency College.
HCmainB
An arrangement of vocational education was running in the college from 1941 to 1946. A marble statue of the founder Ashutosh Ganguly was placed in the library in 1941 and the auditorium was named after his name 1942. Mr. Ganguly donated 10,000 rupee more in addition to previous 1,00,000 rupee. A nice looking three storied student hostel was set up on the northern side of the college pond in 1942. Later on, Md. Ali Sinha , a kind hearted man of Dohori , village in Kalma of Lauhojong Thana donated 10,000 rupee for the residential facilities of muslim students. With this money after purchasing the old hostel of munshiganj high school , a student hostel for the students was built which was named of ‘Mohammad Ali Sinha Hostel’. Before liberation, the teachers lived in this old building. At present the building is no more. Here , a two storied were constructed with the sanction of Govt. money which are still used as the offices and classes of seven honors departments.
HColdHall
The principal of the college , Azimuddin Ahmed , a renowned dramatist set up a mosque in the western side of the pond and a gymnasium in the eastern side in 1962. At present, the gym does not exist. The principal G.M Mannan constructed the principal’s quarter just opposite to the main gate of the college in 1966 with the grant of Govt. fund. Science coaching of B.S.C was started in 1967. The college was nationalized on the 1st march of 1980.
HCziaHall
During the time of Principal Professor Jitendra Lal Borua, a three Storied Academic building was established in 2000 on the south side of the pond inside the college campus in the name of the father of nation, “Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman”. Earlier, a new four storied student hostel named Shaheed Ziaur Rahman Hall was built in 1995. Afterwords, A two storied science building was constructed in the western side of the college ground and a girl’s hostel named Taposhi Rabeya Basri Hall was built in the northern boundary of the college was built in 2007. A fifty two seated student bus was donated to the college by the Chief Advisor of care taker government, Dr. Fakhruddin Ahmed in 2008. The garage of the bus has been built in 2009. Two umbrellas named “Matrichhaya” were built with the initiative of principal Professor Ayesha Shirin Rahman in 2001 that have been added to the beauty of the college. Besides, a new hostel of 200 beds and a five storied academic building have been approved by govt. to be built within a short time.

The students , the teachers and the office stuff set an example by donating much for the construction of a new mosque in the Northern side of the college campus. The local leaders and other people have also helped a lot. The construction work of the mosque started in 2007 during Professor Mohiuddin Miaji and ended in 2008 during the time of principal Professor Md. Mojammal Haque.

There are 2300 students in science, humanities and business studies groups of H.S.C level, 1000 students in B.A (pass ) , 3800 students in different Hons. Courses and 300 students in Masters Level. The total students of the college are nearly 7400. Computer Studies and Finance Production & Marketing subjects have been opened in the H.S.C level. Honors courses in Bangla , English , Political Science , Physics, Botany and Accounting were started in the session 1995-1996, Economics , Social Work , Chemistry , Zoology and Management were started in 1997-1998 and Islamic History & Culture, Philosophy and Mathematics started in 2010-2011 session. Masters courses in English, Bangla, Political Science, Physics, Botany and Accounting have been opened in 1999-00. later on, masters course on Social Work was opened in 2001-02.

At present , there are Hons courses on fourteen subjects and Masters courses on seven subjects.

Source: College website

Comments (1)

this college is famous whole munshiganj districk. i am a student of this college

Post a comment